Tuesday, October 1, 2013

{Day 1} ~ Prayer: What's It All About?



prayer 

pre(ə)r/

noun

1. a devout petition to God or an object of worship.

2. a spiritual communion with God or an object of worship, as in supplication, thanksgiving, adoration, or confession.

3. the act or practice of praying to God or an object of worship.

4. a formula or sequence of words used in or appointed for praying: the Lord's Prayer.

5. prayers, a religious observance, either public or private, consisting wholly or mainly of prayer.

 

Sometimes I make prayer too complicated, pondering its many definitions and worrying if I’m doing it just right. In its simplest form, though, prayer is merely a conversation with God. And it’s been around as long as man has. So why do I make it so difficult at times?

Before the fall, God’s formula for communicating with man was relaxed and personal. In Genesis 3:8-9, we see a picture of God strolling through the garden in the cool of the day, calling out to Adam, “Where are you?” Adam was able to speak directly to God in a face-to-face conversation. But this time, Adam wasn’t so quick to answer. He knew that his sin had changed things; his communication with God was forever altered.

Can you even imagine how Adam and Eve must have felt?  To go from strolling and conversing in the garden with their Creator to being separated from His presence by their sin would be an indescribable pain. A pain I often feel as well.

But in the midst of it all, God still wants a relationship with the people He created. With little, insignificant me.

As hard as it is for me to remember, prayer is about relationship.

It’s not about me rattling off a list of my wants (although God longs to give His children good things)! It’s as much (maybe more!) about me listening to God as is it about Him listening to me. That’s the hardest part for me. Learning to “be still and know” that He is God. Listening for that “still, small voice.” If prayer is communication with God, then communication involves listening as well as talking, don’t you think?

Father, in the midst of my crazy busy days, help me to remember the conversation that matters most. Help me to stop and listen for Your voice in my heart as I communicate with you. Thank you for the beautiful gift of prayer. May my words of praise be a worthy offering to You, the Lover of my Soul.
 
=====================================================

During the month of October, bloggers from far and wide are linking up their posts on one topic for 31 Days. Check it out at The Nester's blog!

i'm doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment