Thursday, October 10, 2013

Apron Prayers


Susanna Wesley
I have to admit it: My best prayers are often in the shower. As a homeschooling mom of three, it’s pretty much one of my only places to get away. Even though my kids are all teenagers now, the demands for my attention didn’t stop when they hit 13. The requests have just matured: “Mom, do you have my car keys?” “Can I have a friend spend the night?” “Will you read over my paper for my dual-credit class?” “I need help with pre-Algebra!” and the ever-present “What’s for dinner?” (If you have a teenage boy, you know this one will inevitably come up at some point during the day!)

Last week, I started a sort of series within my 31 Day series by giving my number 1 tip on how to stay focused when you pray. (If you missed that post, click here to read it.) If you’re like me, your good intentions often turn into making out a to-do list for your day, and you never get back around to praying.

So, here’s tip #2 for a less distracted prayer life:
 
Pray in the shower, or anywhere you can really, truly be alone (and don’t bring your iPhone)!

Susanna Wesley (1669-1742) was the mother of John and Charles Wesley, founders of the Methodist movement and hugely influential in the spiritual life of England. Susanna had 19 children – yes, you read that right, NINETEEN (sadly, nine of her children died in infancy). Her home was far from peaceful and free of distractions. Her husband, Sam, who was a pastor, was once put in debtor’s prison. Two times, their home was burnt to the ground, and they lost everything. It was thought that the fires were deliberately set by angry church members who didn’t like what Sam preached from the pulpit. If anyone had an excuse to be “too busy” and “too distracted” to pray, it was Susanna Wesley.

But instead of making excuses, she devoted herself to two hours of prayer a day! As you can imagine, she struggled to find a quiet place to pray. So she came up with her own unique “prayer closet.” When she wanted to spend time in prayer, Susanna would sit down in her kitchen and throw her apron over her head. Her children knew not to disturb her when she was praying.

No doubt, her prayers were part of the reason her sons were able to bring millions of souls to Christ. Susanna’s diligence and devotion to God is an inspiration and a rebuke to me! How can I, with my life of ease and modern conveniences, offer any valid excuse for not praying?  

Lord, forgive me for making feeble excuses for my prayer life – or lack thereof. Captivate me with Your presence, and renew a desire to spend time with You in prayer. You are everything. I need you EVERY hour. I am nothing without You!

(During the month of October, bloggers from far and wide are linking up their posts on one topic for 31 Days. Check it out at The Nester's blog!)


No comments:

Post a Comment