Wednesday, October 2, 2013

{Day 2} ~ Just a Prayer Away


I totally blew it this morning. After a night of restless and inadequate sleep, I woke up looking like an ogre with an attitude to match. I snapped at my kids, yelled at the dog and acted like Oscar the Grouch’s twin sister. And that was AFTER two cups of coffee!

Then, as God has a way of doing, He lovingly overpowered my spirit with conviction. As I sat in the kitchen for some quiet time, what I read was so completely on target, I had no doubt it was a message from God.

Here are the words God used to bring me to my knees (from Susan Kemerer’s book Homeschool Supermom… NOT!):

The truth is there are two opposing realities: our circumstance and God’s Word. The way we walk will be determined by where we choose to place our faith, hope, and focus (Philippians 4:8-9; Isaiah 30:15-16). I can choose to focus on the reality of my sleep deprivation and allow the reality of my fatigue to define me, while ignoring the reality of God’s strength and grace, or I can choose to focus on the reality of God’s abundant strength that is lavished on His children, and relegate fatigue to the background. God’s strength should define me rather than my weakness – and then God is glorified.

I couldn’t believe my eyes! Of course, after reading the above passage, the only response I could think of was to pray and ask God for forgiveness for my anger and bad attitude (and then follow up with my kids as well).

At times like these, I’m overwhelmed with gratitude for the ability to pray and ask God’s forgiveness. Where would I be without it? 1 John 1:9 assures us that “if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
 
Maybe you blew it today, too. Or maybe, like me, you'll blow it tomorrow.
 
If so, remember this: God's forgiveness is just a prayer away.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During the month of October, bloggers from far and wide are linking up their posts on one topic for 31 Days. Check it out at The Nester's blog!

i'm doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment