Tuesday, May 1, 2007

My Favorite Writing Quotes

I love quotes. I collect them. I tack them to my refrigerator for inspiration. I plaster them to my office walls. I scrawl them on index cards and tape them to my bathroom mirror (well, actually, I prop them up on lotion bottles, but who's looking). I write them in a dozen different notebooks, of which I can't seem to find more than one or two (notebooks, that is) at a time. You get the picture. So, without further adieu, here are a few of my faves on the writing life:

Writing is the hardest way of earning a living, with the possible exception of wrestling alligators. -- Olin Miller

What an author likes to write most is his or her signature on the back of a check. -- Brendan Francis

The pen is the tongue of the mind. -- Cervantes

Writing is a profession in which you have to keep proving your talent to people who have none. -- Jules Renard

The two most beautiful words in the English language are "cheque enclosed." -- Dorothy Parker

The best time for planning a book is while you're doing the dishes. -- Agatha Christie

Writing -- the art of applying the seat of the pants to the seat of the chair. -- Mary Heaton Vorse

Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at the blank sheet of paper until the drops of blood form on your forehead. -- Gene Fowler

No comments:

Post a Comment