Saturday, May 26, 2007

Getting Closer...

After almost two weeks with no news on the publishing front, I am finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel (God-willing, hopefully, possibly, maybe, and any other disclaimers you can use to fill-in-the-blank). I'm learning quickly that nothing's ever definite in this business until you sign on the dotted line (although I don't think any lines are "dotted" anymore). But... I got an e-mail from my agent yesterday saying that she is meeting with an editor (who shall remain nameless for now) at Book Expo www.bookexpoamerica.com to "discuss" my book. "All is now in order," her e-mail promised, although that leaves me wondering what exactly she means by that. I guess I'll just have to keep wondering, because I feel a little silly asking, "So... what do you mean by 'all is now in order'? Does that mean you're discussing deals, contracts, etc? Or just discussing whether or not she wants to publish my book?" I'm hoping it's the former, and that Editor X has already made up her mind that she wants to publish my book. We'll see. The suspense is killing me...

Speaking of Book Expo (BEA), I wish, wish, wish I could go this year. (Do you think the wish fairy will take my wish into consideration since I said it 3 times?) It's in NYC -- what better place to hold a huge publishing convention than in the publishing mecca of the world? I went a few years ago when it was in Chicago (where I grew up), and I felt like I had died and gone to heaven. Free books around every corner! And best-selling authors signing them! Whoa -- I had to take a serious chill pill to keep the excitement from making me look like a total freak. My friend, Amy, who's a graphic designer, kept making fun of me -- she was excited to be there, too, but not NEARLY as excited as I was. I think I came home with over 200 books as well as a dislocated shoulder from lugging 200 books around the convention center (OK, well, maybe I'm exaggerating, but it felt like it at the time)! Crazy! But, alas, no BEA for me this year, because, alas, no money to make the trek to NYC. Anyone want to make a donation? Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment