Wednesday, September 11, 2013

9/11 Through a Child's Eyes


The day the world changed forever, my 5-year-old daughter drew me a picture that took my breath away.

I thought she wasn’t paying attention to the news reports flashing on the TV,

to the images of

     planes crashing,

              people jumping,

                      buildings burning,

                             children crying,

                                          lives ending.

 
But she was.

Her little kindergartner mind was taking in all the tragedy and chaos as she colored with her 3-year-old sister in the family room.

And her artist’s rendering was simply heartbreaking.

In her picture, smoke billows, planes crash, people scream… and the buildings cry.

Twelve years later, her picture hangs in our house as a reminder of innocence lost. For her and for our country.

A reminder of the countless mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, brothers and sisters who were lost that day to a senseless act of terrorism. A reminder of the countless heroes who stepped up to help the helpless. A reminder that we cannot "be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." And that someday, God will make everything right.

“In this world you will have trouble,” says Jesus, “but take heart. I have overcome the world.”
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
This post commemorates the 12th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Take a moment on this day to remember and honor the thousands of innocent men, women, and children murdered by terrorists on September 11, 2001. Thank your local first responders for their dedication to protecting your community. Remember the many Americans who have served and are currently serving in our nation's military—many of whom enlisted as a response to the 9/11 attacks.
 
Let us come together this 9/11 and take a day to honor, remember and reunite. For more information from the National September 11 Memorial & Museum, visit www.911memorial.org.


 

2 comments:

  1. Julie,

    How sad and poignant, this picture. But I also think it must have been very healing for your daughter. Art is an important way to process what we're feeling deep inside of us. I suppose some parents may have yanked the picture away, but you let her express herself in this way. That's so important.

    I processed that day's events (and the coming months' events) by writing news articles -- my own sort of art, I guess. It felt like one small way that I could somehow bring hope -- to tell the stories of people.

    Thank you for linking with #TellHisStory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment, Jennifer! I really enjoy your blog. As a former journalist myself, I definitely appreciate your perspective. God bless you as you continue to impact and inspire women (like me!) with your words!

      Delete