Sunday, January 6, 2008

Happy New Year -- Already?

Since I completely skipped blogging during the month of December, I thought it would be nice to offer a late Christmas present to all you writers out there. Starting out the New Year with a little humor is always a good thing in my book. Hey, we have the rest of the year to be pessimistic and whine and complain! So, without further ado, here's the writer's version of The Twelve Days of Christmas, originally posted on the Disco Mermaids blog:


THE TWELVE FORM REJECTIONS
(inspired by The Twelve Days of Christmas)
In my twelfth form rejection, the letter said to me:
Dear Author/Illustrator,
regarding (CAPS & BOLDFACE TITLE),
thanks for your submission,
we're so glad you thought of our house,
we're proud of ev'ry book we publish,
see Writer's Market for our guidelines,
due to the number of submissions,
we can't give personal suggestions,
though we strive for quick responses,
after careful consideration,
good luck in the future,
but this story doesn't fit our current needs.
So I cried for just a minute, and then
(surging with ambition)
tucked a self-addressed-stamped-envelope
into my next submission.

Cute, huh? Well, it seems to be the story of my life lately. But who knows what lies ahead in 2008? A book contract would be nice. To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment