Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Perfect Fall Breakfast Treat


We are usually a no-frills breakfast family -- cereal, toast, bagels, and the occasional slice of cold pizza are the norm around our house. Since I've become a Pinterest fan, however, visions of muffins, coffee cakes, and French toast have been dancing in my head. So I decided to break out of the boring breakfast mold and try something new.

Score! This recipe was a hit. My guinea pigs kids gobbled it up like they hadn't eaten in days! Next time I will make a double batch, for sure.

As my daughter pointed out, this would make a great Thanksgiving Day breakfast. But I don't think I'll be able to wait until Thanksgiving to try it again!

Here's the recipe from Kevin at Closet Cooking (the great photo above is his, too):

Pumpkin Pie French Toast
(Makes 4 servings)

Ingredients:
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup pumpkin puree/canned pumpkin
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons brown sugar
8 slices of bread

Directions:
1. Mix the eggs, milk, pumpkin puree, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and brown sugar in low flat bowl for easy dipping.
2. Dip the bread into the egg mixture on both sides and grill in a pan until lightly golden brown, about 2-3 minute per side.
3. Serve with maple syrup. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Kevin takes the best pics! They always look very clean and professional, and food is difficult to photograph!

    This sounds good in theory...except that I'm not fond of pumpkin. Or french toast. :D

    ReplyDelete