Sunday, March 27, 2011

Me? A Traitor?

At first I felt like a traitor. Hunkered down under the covers, a soft glow illuminating my face, while my early-rising husband slumbered beside me. Noiselessly, I turned each page by tapping my finger on the edge of the screen. But the more I read on my Nook for iPhone app, the more I began to like it. I justified my traitorous actions by reminding myself that I still loved real books, and I would never cease to purchase the paper and ink tomes that lined my bookshelves. Really. Scout's honor. After all, I've been a writer and editor all of my adult life. How could I possibly abandon real books for digital ones? Of course, I couldn't. I wouldn't. Never!

Does anyone else feel pangs of guilt when reading an e-book? Maybe it's just me. Every time I swipe my finger across the screen to turn the page, I feel like I'm single-handedly contributing the demise of the printed page as we know it.

So, what's a reader/writer to do? I've finally come to terms with the fact that it's not an either/or decision. When it comes to e-books vs. real books, I can have my cake and eat it too. I love the portability and convenience of the e-book, but for me, a digital reader can never replace the tactile experience of holding a book and turning real pages. And guess what? It doesn't have to! So why limit myself to one or the other?

And for writers... the opportunities in e-book publishing are phenomenal. Just last week, I heard an informative webinar on publishing your book digitally. My eyes have been opened to this mysterious new world of e-books, and I like what I see. Do you?

For more great info on e-publishing, check out these helpful blogs: http://www.thecreativepenn.com/ and http://www.bookbuzzr.com/blog/.

No comments:

Post a Comment