Tuesday, March 16, 2010

From the Mouths of Babes

My son, Trey, is a sweet and adorable 10-year-old. OK, so maybe I'm a little biased, but there's a least one little girl who agrees with me. Let's call her Casey (some names have been changed to protect the innocent).

Last week, Casey declared her love for Trey at a skating party. To his face. She just walked right up to him and said, "Trey, I have a crush on you."

Being the red-blooded American male that he is, Trey responded with a dumbfounded, deer-in-the-headlights look. After a long pause, he uttered one profound word: "Oh."

"Will you skate with me?" the cute, little blond-haired girl asked.

"Uh, OK," Trey managed to mumble.

After skating together for a while, Casey decided to press the issue further. "Trey, do you like me?" she asked, batting her long eyelashes.

The deer-in-the-headlights look returned. "Uh, yeah," he said simply.

When recounting the story later that evening to his dad, Trey told him, "I said 'yeah,' Dad. And then I thought, 'What have I gotten myself into?!'"

I can still picture him slapping his forehead as he said that. Russ and I cracked up. And then I said what my husband was thinking, "I'm sure every man has wondered that same thing at some point in his life: 'What have I gotten myself into?'"

Then we laughed some more. I LOVE my family!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, poor Trey. :P I guess getting older can be dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute post. :) Hard to believe in 4-5 years, I could be there with my son! *yikes*
    :)

    ReplyDelete