Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Death by Blogging?

A Post a Day
I'm slipping into my old habits again. We're 27 days into the New Year, and this is only my second blog entry of the month. Maybe I'm just not cut out for the whole blogging thing. There's just not enough knowledge in this little pea-brain of mine to impart to the rest of the writing world out there.

And now, I've found a perfect excuse to support my lackadaisical blogging habits -- blogging could lead to death. Seriously. Just check out the following news:


Two weeks ago in North Lauderdale, Fla., funeral services were held for Russell Shaw, a prolific blogger on technology subjects who died at 60 of a heart attack. In December, another tech blogger, Marc Orchant, died at 50 of a massive coronary. A third, Om Malik, 41, survived a heart attack in December.
Other bloggers complain of weight loss or gain, sleep disorders, exhaustion and other maladies born of the nonstop strain of producing for a news and information cycle that is as always-on as the Internet.
To be sure, there is no official diagnosis of death by blogging, and the premature demise of two people obviously does not qualify as an epidemic. There is also no certainty that the stress of the work contributed to their deaths. But friends and family of the deceased, and fellow information workers, say those deaths have them thinking about the dangers of their work style.

See? Maybe just blogging occasionally isn't such a bad thing. After all, I like writing, but I wouldn't want to die for it.

2 comments: